Image Map

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Unrealistic expectations


This week has been crazy and busy! Thank you for being patient as I balance all the tasks in preparing for the conference. I also have a lot going on at school with us coming down to the last 36 days left, there are meetings, evaluations, and lots to cover before I send my kids to 3rd grade.
One thing that has really been hitting me a lot is expectations. Expectations of others. With teaching it comes in from parents, our administration, the state, and myself. I want to be the best teacher I can for my students. But let's face it, with teachers being evaluated by their test scores..... Does anybody care if I love my students, truly care for their well being. I'll never forget my first year teaching and was at a first year teacher meeting. One of the speakers was employed at our central office. He said, " I want you all to remember something. Good teachers have good test scores!" I remember getting in my car and crying!! Unrealistic expectations..... I could be the best teacher ever and still have a group of students who don't pass.
Performance.... How I'm a friend, sister, daughter, aunt. How many times do we go above and beyond helping others and it never fails that someone needed us to bend two notches more.
When you perform a task.....cleaning, singing, making something, putting an outfit together. When you've done your absolute best...... And you get no praise but what you should have done better.
I think it's being used right now to distract me. A dear friend reminded me of this today. The devil is shooting targets. Distracting me as we get closer and closer to the conference.
So tonight after I've had a day where I've not met many unrealistic expectations..... I am enough.
You are enough!!


No comments:

Post a Comment